Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our Little Genius

We've always known Michelle was smart but lately she's getting so smart it's almost scary. She seems to pick up a new word or skill just about every day.

We've been working with Michelle on numbers but we weren't sure if she was really grasping the concept. She was able to hold up all five fingers and say "five" but we weren't sure she really understand what that meant. Then Saturday we were walking out the door and I had my purse on one shoulder and a tote bag on the other shoulder. She pointed to each bag and said "Mama, two bags." I was blown away. I was amazed that she was able to count and understand that I had two bags and I was also surprised to hear her articulate it so well.

We've also been working with her on colors but, again, we weren't sure if she really understood the concept. On Sunday I went out for awhile and called Roman when I was a few minutes away so they could watch for me at the window. I saw Michelle at the window squealing with delight when I started to pull into the driveway and I raced inside as quickly as I could. When I got inside, Roman told me that Michelle saw me half a block away when I was turning the corner. He said she pointed excitedly and yelled "green car!"

She's our little genius. Expect a graduation announcement from Harvard by the time she's five. :) We're just dreading the day she realizes she's smarter than we are. It won't be long. I can just picture the look she's going to give us now. It will be half disappointed, half pitying. We do find it curious, though, that she's so smart and yet she doesn't understand the concept of the word NO.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Wow!! She is a "smartie"!
Good Job Michelle!!

I think Michelle is very very smart and pretends she doesn't know the word NO.
You can't be responsible for something you "don't" know! : )